[game_edu] Student IP for coursework

Deanna Whaley dwhaley at austincc.edu
Thu Aug 24 11:21:58 EDT 2017

Hi Ian - We had this exact situation at our college a few years ago. A
graduating team had won a competition and a studio had contacted them to
partner up and commercialize the game. Issue was...some of the art that was
created was not going to be used in the game but the artist was part of the
original team and was no longer on the team. There was no college policy.
After checking with our legal department and the software company Autodesk
about the legalities of commercializing the game we came up with a contract
that they each had to sign. The contract basically said that they were the
IP owners, but all assets created on the educational software had to be
recreated on a commercial license (we couldn't just move the assets over to
a commercial license). Autodesk was willing to allow students to move
assets from a student license to a commercial license, but not from an
educational license we have in our labs. I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Deanna Whaley
Austin Community College
Game Dev., Animation & Motion Graphics Dept.
dwhaley at austincc.edu  |  512.223.4830  | Northridge Campus, Rm. 3142

<http://sites.austincc.edu/gdamg>

***************No trees were killed sending this e-mail, although a large
number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.*