[game_edu] Student IP for coursework

Ira Fay ira at irafay.com
Thu Aug 24 11:11:13 EDT 2017

Hello all,

Greg is right re: IP microtalks at GDC 2016, and I co-organized it with Owen Gottleib. It's on the vault, but for anyone who doesn't have access, feel free to email me and I can send you the slide deck.

To answer Ian's questions for Hampshire College: We have a college-wide IP policy that governs these issues, but I think many people on campus still don't know about it, and even the best IP policy can't resolve the murky issues of shared IP on joint projects - that can really only be solved with conversation, ideally before the issue comes up.

Also, I help the students by generally encouraging all IP created in courses to be open source. It aligns with the ideals of academia, and it actually solves a lot of the profit issues, and issues of "we want to go one direction and you want to go a different direction after the course," etc. I include a section on IP in every syllabus, mention it during the first class, and link to the Hampshire policy:
https://www.hampshire.edu/sites/default/files/presidentsoffice/files/IP-Policy.pdf

I'm happy to answer more questions!

Thanks,
Ira