[game_edu] Assistant Professor of Animation and Game Design at Hampshire College

Ira Fay ira at irafay.com
Tue Aug 29 11:47:09 EDT 2017

Hello all,

I hope you're doing well. I'm pleased to announce that my department at
Hampshire College is growing, and we're hiring a tenure-track position in
Animation and Game Design. I've included the job details below, but if you
have any questions, feel free to contact me directly.

If you're in industry now and have been thinking about an academic career,
I'd encourage you to consider this opportunity seriously - Hampshire has
been incredibly accommodating to an industry/academic mixed career, and
I've personally found it to be very satisfying. I worked full time in
industry for ~8 years, then became a professor in 2011 while maintaining
part-time industry activity. I can speak to the pros and cons (mostly
pros!).

If you're in the academy now, I can say with confidence that Hampshire is
awesome, and professors here have amazing freedom to do the sort of
teaching and research that is most meaningful to them. I'm happy to answer
more questions too.

Best wishes,
Ira

Assistant Professor of Animation and Game Design
Hampshire College, http://hamp.it/AGDsearch

Hampshire College is seeking an Assistant Professor to join our
revolutionary team defining the future of undergraduate education in
Animation and Game Design. Since its founding in 1970, Hampshire has been a
leader in experimental student-driven education and continues today with no
departments, no letter grades, and customized majors for every student.
Each student’s journey through Hampshire is unique and self-directed.
Faculty members are responsible for advising, supporting, and inspiring a
multi-disciplinary and diverse student body.

Responsibilities include:

   - Teach two courses per semester, with great freedom and support to
   design new courses that are most compelling to you
   - Advise students throughout their time at Hampshire, including close
   mentorship on their individualized concentrations and their capstone
   (thesis) projects
   - Collaborate with colleagues to develop and plan the curriculum
   - Be an active scholar/artist in your field(s) of expertise
   - Participate in college governance

Requirements include:

   - A passion for innovative undergraduate teaching
   - Professional experience in Animation and Game Design
   - A track record as both a successful collaborator and an independent
   scholar/artist
   - A commitment to creating an inclusive and diverse academic community
   - A terminal degree and/or substantial industry experience by the date
   of appointment (July 1, 2018)

Submission Materials:

   - Statement of teaching and research/production interests
   - Resume/CV
   - Links to sample work
   - Three letters of recommendation

Submit your materials via our website at http://hamp.it/AGDsearch and click
on "apply for this position." Applications will be accepted until the
position is filled, however only candidates whose applications are received
by October 1, 2017 will be assured full consideration. Contact
AGDsearch at lists.hampshire.edu with any questions.

Hampshire College is committed to an active, intentional, and ongoing
engagement with diversity—in the curriculum, in students and employees, and
in the college’s intellectual, social, and cultural endeavors. Hampshire
recognizes that institutional excellence comes from fully engaging with
diversity in all aspects of its activities. We seek applicants who will
contribute to the College’s commitment to creating an inclusive and diverse
academic community. We strongly encourage applications from women and
minority candidates.

Hampshire College is an equal opportunity institution, committed to
diversity and inclusion in education and employment.