[games_access] Accessibility and laws ?

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 7 16:48:53 EDT 2008

The main thing behind 508 for universities in the US is that a
"reasonable accommodation" is made. So, say, the instructor has a
flash-based online test that someone in the classroom cannot access
due to the fact that the assistive tech that they use is not
compatible with the test. The instructor must supply an alternative
format for this student and this is usually arranged through an
office for students with disabilities.

So if an instructor relied on teaching a course in Second Life (not a
game but it is a game-like world) and all of the materials were only
available in SL and part of the course requires that each student
participates in SL, then the law says that an alternative must be
provided and/or accommodations. This might mean that the student
pairs up with someone in the class or that the office for students
with disabilities provides this student with someone who can access
the class for them.

It's a little confusing because the question remains -- what is a
reasonable accommodation for a rich, immersive environment like a
game? Will the student be able to access the content in an acceptable
alternative way?

Michelle