[games_access] question game definition

d. michelle hinn hinn at uiuc.edu
Sat Apr 18 18:02:14 EDT 2009

I completely understand -- it's a very narrow
definition to exclude games without a screen.
Like I said...challenge him with games that
children play like tag and such -- no screens for
those! Check into schools for the deaf for
example and see how they play games like football
where vibrations on the ground indicate field
instructions. That's another non-screen exergame
that has been made accessible.
Plus...wow...there's the para-olympics and the
special olympics. Those count too in my opinion!!

Wow...so I never really thought a lot about
really OLD games and accessibility. Great
discussion! It shows that game accessibility goes
back WAY further than VIDEOGAME accessibility.
And to limit games without screens...well, he
should attend games for health where they show
many, many exergames that have NO SCREENS! Some
are sound and light based but the sounds and
lights are on, say, towers that you hit based on
where the sound and light is coming from (the one
I'm thinking of has four towers that surround
you). But there's no visual other than light and
even that can be turned off so it can be sound
only.

And I agree -- the tighter the definition, the
more trouble we get into...but some people always
want a grand term and definition for everything.
For others? Let's get on with life! That's why I
probably don't belong in academia. ;)

Michelle