[games_access] question game definition

Sandra Uhling sandra_uhling at web.de
Sun Apr 19 05:20:25 EDT 2009

Hi,

(write back, when this is too off-topic, please)

Michelle thank you very much for your thoughts and comments.

Definition "video games":
I think here they made a mistake in the past.
The people did not think about accessibility.
So they called it "video games". I would call it "electronical games".

The main question is: When we use the word "games",
do we mean "video/electronical games" or all games?
In Germany we use "games" for video/electronical games".
It is really difficult to talk internationally, when basic words are not clear.

What do we mean in this SIG, when we talk about games?

The exergames at Games for Health, that do not need a screen
are Makoto, 3Kick, Sportwall, twall...
There is also Swinxs that do not need a screen.
It is like a small box and has lots of electronical games.
The kids have wristbands that communicate with the box.

The question is, are these games or "interactive fitness".
I do call it a game, because you have a challenge like Tetris.
It is something like the audiogame pigeon panic.
You try your best and get a score. ... reminds me at moorhuhn.
Where you shot some chicks.

Makoto = Moorhuhn = Pigeon Panic = Tetris
The only difference is, that they do not use a screen.

It is really not easy to get people understand that games that
do not use a screen are fun and games like other games.
(OK, I was also very surprised to learn this in the past)

There are also games that use only the braill for input and output.
But there are also games.

Best regards,
Sandra