[games_access] IGDA / Special Effect at Gamescom 2012?

Ian Hamilton i_h at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 29 09:59:54 EST 2011

 Being able to get into Gamescom last year was fantastic, but being in the conference area was obviously quite limiting in terms of who could be reached. They also have a huge business-to-business area, which Sandra and I were discussing. If we could get in there then it would allow us to get in front of the largest meeting of game developers in Europe. I had an interesting chat yesterday with a developer who was due to be exhibiting in the B2B area of Gamescom last year. The rate for a stand there is around £2000, and she was able to get half of that cost covered by UKTI, and the other half met my simply sharing a stand with another developer. Within this list I know that in Europe at least there's Special Effect who are very well practiced at demoing their assistive tech at these kind of events, perhaps a joint venture with stand costs split between SE and IGDA? Once split / funded etc it wouldn't be a great deal of money to get together (if anything at all, the combination of SE's charity status and IGDA's past history with Gamescom might even allow us to get in there for free), and it would be a fantastic opportunity to spread some awareness throughout the industry. Even just something as simple as handouts with the existing wishlists (or formal standards if they're around by then) would be exactly what developers are crying out for. Any thoughts? Ian