[MacLoggerContest] Fwd: Contest Logger for Macs

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Mon Feb 7 14:52:41 EST 2005

On Feb 7, 2005, at 12:59 am, Jack Brindle wrote:

> by the way, i find the PC authors to be helpful for our efforts. As
> long as we are not directly competing with them (different platform),
> then they are willing to help. Even then, there is a lot of
> cooperation between those folks. Amazingly friendly and helpful, these
> folks called hams!

As an example of what Jack has said, I have been in contact with Paul
O'Kane who writes the Super Duper (SD) contest software for Windows
which has as large a following across Europe as some of the other PC
software does in North America.   Apart from offering to maybe comment
on the threads here he has also sent me the following from his
experience of SD...  just for info.
I think there is a useful comment about setting our sights, about new
or distinctive features, and about the importance of the input routine.

Begin forwarded message:
> From: Paul O'Kane
> Date: February 7, 2005 7:21:02 pm GMT
>
> Hello Jonathan,
>
> Are you going for the top-end of the market - with multi-multi and
> SO2R support?  It's getting very crowded up there, and fiendishly
> difficult from the technical point of view.  All I'm saying is don't
> set your sights too high or your project will never be implemented.
> Also, unless you introduce some really useful new features, you'll
> not get any converts from PCs/Windows.
>
> I'd recommend that you pay attention to your data input routine.  In
> SD's routine, I have about 1500 lines of code, and that's one of the
> reasons I can do some "neat" things while prefixes are being entered
> - without the need to touch any other key.  There's about 83,000 lines
> of code in SD at present.
>
> 73,
> Paul EI5DI

73,