[MacLoggerContest] List & Development issues - was- SO2R features

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Mon Feb 7 16:51:12 EST 2005

Hi Jack,

On 7-Feb-05, at 4:22 PM, Jack Brindle wrote:

> First - can the list "mom" change the reply setting so that replies
> automatically go to the list? At least that's my request.

The administrative interface to the list suggests...
"Where are replies to list messages directed? Poster is strongly
recommended for most mailing lists".

A simple "Reply" will go to the poster, a "Reply All" will include the
list as well. In my experience defaulting the "Reply" to the list
results in a lot of accidental publication to the list of messages that
the poster only intended to go to the originator, this can result in
some embarrassing situations but if anyone feels strongly about this
for any particular reason ?

> While talking fundamentals, it would be interesting to hear Don's take
> on handling different radio types. I only have to worry about a K2,
> but that doesn't help the folks with other radios... ;-) Plug-in
> architecture, maybe?

MacLoggerDX handles over 60 radios and since I don't have them all - I
put a lot of work into the debug logging so that if something goes
wrong I can be there - without actually being there.

On the plus side Plug-in architecture decreases the size of the
download and allows incremental download of new drivers and 3rd party
development to a published standard.

On the negative side it makes support somewhat more complex since you
need the driver version as well as the program version to reproduce the
problem and in the case of a 3rd party driver can result in a finger
pointing nightmare.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com