[MacLoggerContest] List & Development issues - was- SO2R features

John Bastin jbastin at sssnet.com
Tue Feb 8 15:12:00 EST 2005

On Feb 7, 2005, at 4:51 PM, Don Agro wrote:

>> First - can the list "mom" change the reply setting so that replies
>> automatically go to the list? At least that's my request.
>
> The administrative interface to the list suggests...
> "Where are replies to list messages directed? Poster is strongly
> recommended for most mailing lists".
>
> A simple "Reply" will go to the poster, a "Reply All" will include the
> list as well. In my experience defaulting the "Reply" to the list
> results in a lot of accidental publication to the list of messages
> that the poster only intended to go to the originator, this can result
> in some embarrassing situations but if anyone feels strongly about
> this for any particular reason ?

On this list, "Reply All" sends my reply to the poster, with a copy to
the list. This can be a bit of a issue, because it results in the
poster getting two replies, the list reply and the one directed to him
(in this case, because Don's reply had gone both to Jack and to the
list, my reply to that message would have had one copy to Don, one copy
to Jack, and one copy to the list. I saw what was happening and removed
everything but the list copy).

On other lists I'm on, "Reply" goes only to the poster, "Reply All"
goes only to the list. This seems to be a better situation, but in any
rate, anyone replying to a message on the list, myself included, is
perfectly capable of checking the addressee(s) before he sends the
post, and making sure the destination is correct.

For my own preference, I would prefer to see only one copy of each
message on the list, not the list post plus one to me.

YMMV.

73,

John E Bastin, K8AJS
jbastin at sssnet.com