[MacLoggerContest] MLC compared to MLDX

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Fri Feb 11 15:39:12 EST 2005

Hi all,  (sorry for the burst of activity from me on the list at
weekends but work is giving me little chance during the week at
present!)

One of the minor points Don and I were discussing before this list was
created was:

On Feb 3, 2005, at 8:08 am, Don Agro wrote:

>> One interesting thing for next time would be to discuss what features
>> for contest are in common with MLDX and where the differences and
>> similarities lie - if that would help.
>
> Yes, I think it would, as long as we don't let it limit where we are
> going, but a "MLDX feature good for MLC" and a MLDX feature NOT good
> for MLC" would be a good place to start.

Note this is not to say that MLC is a version of MLDX - it is clear
that the two loggers are entirely different applications - nor are we
looking at the detail of appearance and design of the user experience -
this is merely to assist Don in terms of some high level features that
have already been coded in some sense !     (Analogous to the way that
some features (e.g. Map) are shared between MLDX and MacDopplerPro for
example).

So now I think is a good time to have a new thread looking at this.  I
have attempted a "starter for 10" below - let's add/correct etc. as
appropriate...

MLDX good for MLC:

-  DX Clusters Pane and functions (with added links to scoring
potential etc. as per separate thread - e.g. identifying new mults that
have been spotted)
-  Map Pane (should concentrate of what has been worked as an indicator
of propagation etc.  maybe coloured by band etc. but secondary nice-if
rather than essential) - also only really of use when HF contest
selected unless we can have loadable more localised maps
-  Beam rotor support
-  Rig control support for such a wide range of radios.  (Again maybe
linked to specific quick QSY for different band/mode button functions)
-  MicroBand decoder support
-  Keyer support (adapted specifically for contesting needs)
-  Cabrillo support (need export instead of import !)
-  ADIF support (only need export)

MLDX not good/not needed for MLC:

-  QSL pane and functions
-  Labels pane and functions
-  Awards pane and functions
-  Schedules pane and functions (Could imagine a different but
analogous sked/band change/other (e.g. fill genny!) reminder system)
-  Memories pane and functions (Could imagine a different but analogous
Memory map of what you have heard/logged per band e.g. on S&P mode)
-  UCB pane and functions
-  Previous (only implemented by the Super Check Partial support as
well as Dupe Checks in the same current contest).
-  Support for WARC bands - no contests happen here.
-  Log pane - fields never needed such as address related, power,
contact details, plus others only displayed according to contest
configuration.
-  Different pane/layout completely needed - some common info/fields
but emphasis completely different.

Comments from any others who are familiar with MLDX?

73,
Jonathan G0DVJ