[MacLoggerContest] MLC compared to MLDX

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Sun Feb 13 13:54:11 EST 2005

Hi all,

Wanted to just comment on a few things Ted brought to the table (thanks
Ted).
My original posting in this thread was intended to be a straight high
level feature comparison not a list of priorities!
I do concur with Ted's noting of priorities of some of the points.

I hope we can have a specific thread about the actual priorities soon -
perhaps after any other more detailed debates.

On Feb 12, 2005, at 7:42 pm, Ted Brattstrom wrote:

>> MLDX good for MLC:
>>
>> -  DX Clusters Pane and functions (with added links to scoring
>> potential etc. as per separate thread - e.g. identifying new mults
>> that have been spotted)
>
> Note - if implemented, this should be able to be turned off - or made
> one way... (I'd leave it out, personally :-) )
> The reason, using any cluster changes you from Single Op to Assisted -
> there are enough people who are "assisted" who are submitting as
> Single Op.

Agreed !

>> -  Map Pane (should concentrate of what has been worked as an
>> indicator of propagation etc.  maybe coloured by band etc. but
>> secondary nice-
>> if rather than essential) - also only really of use when HF contest
>> selected unless we can have loadable more localised maps

Yes hence I regarded this as a nice-if!

> I'd add - the ability to do a quick edit on a QSO - How many times have
> I entered the info quickly, hit return twice, then noticed that I
> mis-typed the call - Post contest editing is fine - (and important), as
> long as you keep a pad of note paper next to you (which I do)

Again absolutely agree - the ability to quickly edit QSOs in mid
contest was highlighted in another mail thread.
I am coming to the conclusion that perhaps two mechanisms are needed -
one which easily pulls back the previous QSO for editing when you have
committed it and then realise something needs changing and then a more
general way of editing any QSO in the log.

>> Memory map of what you have heard/logged per band e.g. on S&P mode)
>
> I don't know how this is implemented - but, the ability to enter a call
> and band that you can come back to... because you didn't get through
>
> I envision something like entering the call, trying to call for a
> minute
> or 20 - then hitting a function key to put it over on the side with the
> freq and call... it can be gone back to later.

I have seen this scratchpad/recall type facility within loggers such as
SD and it is very useful.  Thanks for saying so too!

>> -  Support for WARC bands - no contests happen here.
>
> (yeah, I know I keep saying it :-) keep the WARC bands in there - no
> need to take them out :-) then it's still ok for DXpeditions -

Yeah - a mistake in hindsight on my part - I agreed with your comment
about secondary use for DX-peditions in another thread and then wrote
this daft contradictory thing in the comparison of MLC & MLDX thread !
  Ooopss.   Brain not in gear.

> Aloha - ted - nh6yk

BTW - Had a great time a couple of years ago staying in Hawaii a few
days on a round the world trip!

73,
Jonathan G0DVJ