[MacLoggerContest] MLC compared to MLDX

Jack Brindle jackbrindle at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 13 15:07:11 EST 2005

On Feb 13, 2005, at 10:54 AM, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:

>>> -  DX Clusters Pane and functions (with added links to scoring
>>> potential etc. as per separate thread - e.g. identifying new mults
>>> that have been spotted)
>>
>> Note - if implemented, this should be able to be turned off - or made
>> one way... (I'd leave it out, personally :-) )
>> The reason, using any cluster changes you from Single Op to Assisted -
>> there are enough people who are "assisted" who are submitting as
>> Single Op.

This is very important for contest club ops. In very competitive areas
stations may not be able to compete, but they can help their fellow
club members to do so. The ability to feed spots into the local club
cluster can mean a lot of points to the club itself. Spots can also
mean the difference between a sweep in some contests and being down in
the mult count. I put cluster capability in the "must have" category.

>>> -  Map Pane (should concentrate of what has been worked as an
>>> indicator of propagation etc.  maybe coloured by band etc. but
>>> secondary nice-
>>> if rather than essential) - also only really of use when HF contest
>>> selected unless we can have loadable more localised maps

I go the opposite for this - I'd rather use my screen real-estate for
more important things. This is more of a distraction than anything
else. Why? It puts the op into the mode of going after multipliers
instead of getting more QSOs. Mults come with QSOs, searching for mults
keeps you from getting Qs and ends up lowering your score. This is one
I have learned the hard way from my fellow club members.
If the feature is there, make sure it can be turned off.

>>> Memory map of what you have heard/logged per band e.g. on S&P mode)
>>
>> I don't know how this is implemented - but, the ability to enter a
>> call
>> and band that you can come back to... because you didn't get through
>>
>> I envision something like entering the call, trying to call for a
>> minute
>> or 20 - then hitting a function key to put it over on the side with
>> the
>> freq and call... it can be gone back to later.

This actually can be part of the spotting system. Just because you
don't have a connection to the cluster enabled doesn't mean you cannot
add spots for your own operation (that don't go to anyone else).

Features in the program need to be useful not just for the casual
contester but also for the more serious ones. Please do not leave out
features that the serious guys will need (like spotting). It would
seriously cripple the program.

- Jack Brindle, W6FB