[MacLoggerContest] Post-contest support

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Sun Feb 20 12:48:45 EST 2005

Thanks for the replies/comments on the previous keyer thread - I agree
completely with both John & Bill on all their points.

Another aspect we haven't yet covered much is post-contest support...
Again I will kick off with some comments about this and perhaps people
will comment/correct as they wish.

So after the hard work of the contest it would be nice to have :

1) an easy way to submit the entry   [Essential]

2) an easy way to aggregate the contest log into a main station log
(either MLDX or something else)     [Essential]

3) a way to analyse the performance of the contest effort     [Bell &
Whistle?]

4) anything else I have forgotten??

For (1) I guess we are talking about Cabrillo export but with some
parts of the header completed from info the software already has about
the operator (e.g. contact info) and the station (maybe radios &
antennas - see about locations below) etc.   This links the
post-contest facilities with the contest set-up part as well as user
preferences.

For (2) I guess we are talking about an intelligent ADIF export, which
most other station loggers can handle - it would be excellent IMHO if
we could crack the problem I have often had which is conveying the
contest name, year & my contest location over to the comments or notes
field of the station log so that this information can be added to any
QSLs I create (e.g. in the MLDX QSL facility).

In (3) I would like to be able to analyse the QSOs, Points, Mults (if
applicable) per hour of the contest.  Also Mults per band/mode would be
interesting.  This is an area that like with MLDX awards facility could
be enhanced as time goes on IMHO.

What else have I missed - what are others' views?

Oh and on contest location (which I mentioned under (2) above) - it
would be great if I could set-up and then select from a number of
different contest locations known to the program.   As well as
operation from home, I typically have a few other locations I use
(different with various groups and for HF/VHF events.)  These stored
locations would then be able to pre-populate and hence simplify the
set-up for many contest events including my grid locator, zones (ITU &
CQ), Lat/Long, station equipment, etc.

What say others?
73,
Jonathan G0DVJ