[MacLoggerContest] Post-contest support

John E Bastin jbastin at sssnet.com
Sun Feb 20 21:28:33 EST 2005

On Feb 20, 2005, at 12:48 PM, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:

> Thanks for the replies/comments on the previous keyer thread - I agree
> completely with both John & Bill on all their points.
>

> Another aspect we haven't yet covered much is post-contest support...
> Again I will kick off with some comments about this and perhaps people
> will comment/correct as they wish.
>

> So after the hard work of the contest it would be nice to have :
>
> 1) an easy way to submit the entry   [Essential]
>
> 2) an easy way to aggregate the contest log into a main station log
> (either MLDX or something else)     [Essential]
>
> 3) a way to analyse the performance of the contest effort     [Bell &
> Whistle?]
>
> 4) anything else I have forgotten??
>

> For (1) I guess we are talking about Cabrillo export but with some
> parts of the header completed from info the software already has about
> the operator (e.g. contact info) and the station (maybe radios &
> antennas - see about locations below) etc.   This links the
> post-contest facilities with the contest set-up part as well as user
> preferences.

Cabrillo export if the contest organizer wants the scores submitted
that way. Not all contests ask for Cabrillo; many times with my present
contest logging software I see people complaining that there is no
Cabrillo export for a contest _where Cabrillo isn't wanted_. If the
software is going to attempt to export files suitable for contest
entry, then it MUST have accurate information on what is required for
each contest, and provide what is needed, whether it be Cabrillo or
something else.

> For (2) I guess we are talking about an intelligent ADIF export, which
> most other station loggers can handle - it would be excellent IMHO if
> we could crack the problem I have often had which is conveying the
> contest name, year & my contest location over to the comments or notes
> field of the station log so that this information can be added to any
> QSLs I create (e.g. in the MLDX QSL facility).

IMO this problem is much more easily solved at the receiving end. The
logging software can have a provision to enter additional fields such
as contest name and the like and have them included in each record of
the imported file. That easily handles the object of having things in
the proper format for whatever program is receiving the data.

> In (3) I would like to be able to analyse the QSOs, Points, Mults (if
> applicable) per hour of the contest.  Also Mults per band/mode would
> be interesting.  This is an area that like with MLDX awards facility
> could be enhanced as time goes on IMHO.

Analysis functions are very useful.

73,
J o h n   B a s t i n           K 8 A J S
            jbastin at sssnet.com
          http://www.qsl.net/k8ajs