[MacLoggerContest] Keyers

Ted Brattstrom ted at hawaii.edu
Sun Feb 20 13:07:31 EST 2005

Aloha Jonnathan and all -

Not being cw op - I'll limit myself to phone comments :-)

Minor contests, the voice keyer isn't needed - major efforts - it really
helps a lot - At a minimum - the CQ string should be playable. I can
usually hold out for a contest on the rest on regular voice :-)

there ARE a lot of boxes out there that do this, the question of letting
the software do this boils down to a couple of issues - how many more
wires / interfaces are we going to have from the computer to the radio -
remembering that the microphone has to get in there someway too :-)
(yes, there are interface boxes for that  too...)

side thought:
     (I'm seeing the need for a box that has USB on one side,
      Mic in, Key in (straight and otherwise) Radio audio in,
      - then outputs Audio to radio (voice, PSK, JT, RTTY,
      SSTV), cw keying to radio, Amplifier keying, and
      band/mode data  both  ways...  and the like - all
      for under $29.95 :-) :-) )

However, the voice side of things can be done in the same format as the
CW side of things - prepared sound files - and synthesized sound files
for number increments. (with the option for all synthesized - which
helps out some hams who have a hard time talking... I remember one (non
contest) qso with a ham who was clearly running a speech sythesizer - it
worked)

I haven't played a lot with the text to speech parts of the mac - but it
seems all there :-)

Just a few  more thoughts from the mid-pacific...

73 and aloha - ted - nh6yk