[MacLoggerContest] Any other topics?

Jack Brindle jackbrindle at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 28 11:52:49 EST 2005

I'll second what Don says here. The formats, protocols and network
communications for the various PC-based programs are closely-held
secrets. With few exceptions, the authors have not collaborated to
share this information, instead choosing to reinvent the formats so
that users are locked in to their own programs. To be fair, testing
with everyone else's program would be a bear, especially since those
programs tend to change very often. Also, in some cases the information
changes with every release since it is extremely closely related to the
internal data format of the program (for those cases).

While there may be some cracks in the information wall, don't expect
these authors to open up their network formats. The cracks? TLF is a
Linux-based open-source program. There may be a couple of others in
this vein as well.

I believe there are several common areas where we may lead the way with
standard, open methods. M/M network data formats and protocols is
certainly one, as well as a common contest definition format. Any
others?

On Feb 28, 2005, at 6:47 AM, Don Agro wrote:

> On 28-Feb-05, at 9:29 AM, John Bastin wrote:
>
>> I'll put in a second to that request. For maximum usefulness, we need
>> to be compatible in data formats and transfer protocols with what's
>> already out there.
>
> If compatibility with multiple existing undocumented data transfer
> protocols is a show stopper - well then consider the show stopped - at
> this end anyway.
>
> This is just so far from reasonable that I am (almost) speechless.
>
> Cabrillo, ADIF fine - but interoperability with PC network loggers
> when THEY don't even interoperate ?

- Jack Brindle, W6FB