[MacLoggerContest] Re: MacLoggerDX tab order

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Wed Aug 3 17:47:49 EDT 2005

Hi John,

On 3-Aug-05, at 5:01 PM, John E Bastin wrote:

> At the risk of further muddying the waters of desired/needed
> functions in a contest program, here's what I'm used to working
> with in a contest program:

<snip>

> I'm assuming that this discussion is aiming at ultimately producing
> a contest logging program for the Mac, and not just contest
> enhancements to MacLoggerDX.

This is an incorrect assumption.

> MacLoggerDX is a great DX logging and record-keeping program, and I
> think Don would agree that it is a very complex package, both from
> the user's and from the programmer's point of view.

No I would not agree. It is a very complex package from the
programmer's point of view but not from the user's point of view.

> Contest logging programs are equally complex programs in their own
> right, if they are to be able to do everything that contesters
> demand and still maintain a premium on doing everything in a
> minimum amount of time. Due to this complexity, I think that
> efforts to make MacLoggerDX into a contesting program would not
> contribute to its present function, and would produce a sub-optimal
> contest program at best. The contest logging program needs to be a
> stand-alone design, with features that enhance contesting at the
> forefront.

Sorry John but I and many others disagree wholeheartedly with your
assumption. MacLoggerDX can and is being used for contesting.

> I would like nothing better than to be able to put a Mac back in
> the shack for contesting as well as normal logging. I don't
> consider myself a top contester by any stretch of the imagination,
> but I have pushed my present contesting program to QSO rates of 150-
> per-hour, and the software is really capable of a lot more than
> that if I was better at it.
>
> Maybe it's farther than this discussion is aiming, but that's my
> target. Until a contesting program for the Mac gets to that point,
> I've got a PC in the shack. Use the best tools for the job you need
> done.

Have fun with the PC.

There are a lot of people who do not accept this and have been
working very hard to make MacLoggerDX a contesting program and are in
fact using MacLoggerDX and Cab-Converter for contesting.

I am sorry that you reject this option but it is very much alive and
we have heard it can't be done before - this serves no purpose, it
can and is being done.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW

D o g   P a r k   S o f t w a r e   L t d .

email: dagro at dogparksoftware.com
   www: http://www.dogparksoftware.com
     iChat AV:dogpark at mac.com