[MacLoggerContest] Re: MacLoggerDX tab order

John E Bastin jbastin at sssnet.com
Wed Aug 3 23:00:18 EDT 2005

On Aug 3, 2005, at 5:47 PM, Don Agro wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> On 3-Aug-05, at 5:01 PM, John E Bastin wrote:
>

>> At the risk of further muddying the waters of desired/needed
>> functions in a contest program, here's what I'm used to working
>> with in a contest program:
>>

> <snip>
>

>> I'm assuming that this discussion is aiming at ultimately
>> producing a contest logging program for the Mac, and not just
>> contest enhancements to MacLoggerDX.
>>

> This is an incorrect assumption.

OK, I stand corrected.

>> MacLoggerDX is a great DX logging and record-keeping program, and
>> I think Don would agree that it is a very complex package, both
>> from the user's and from the programmer's point of view.
>>

> No I would not agree. It is a very complex package from the
> programmer's point of view but not from the user's point of view.

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to point out. I didn't
mean to imply that complexity for the user makes for a steep learning
curve, but rather that the program is complex in the wide myriad of
features that it offers.

>> Contest logging programs are equally complex programs in their own
>> right, if they are to be able to do everything that contesters
>> demand and still maintain a premium on doing everything in a
>> minimum amount of time. Due to this complexity, I think that
>> efforts to make MacLoggerDX into a contesting program would not
>> contribute to its present function, and would produce a sub-
>> optimal contest program at best. The contest logging program needs
>> to be a stand-alone design, with features that enhance contesting
>> at the forefront.
>>

> Sorry John but I and many others disagree wholeheartedly with your
> assumption. MacLoggerDX can and is being used for contesting.

I didn't mean to say that it wasn't being used for contesting. If you
want to develop it for contesting and make it a full-fledged
contesting program along with being the super DX logging and award
record keeping program that it is, don't let me discourage you.

My contention is that it would be easier to develop a high-end
contesting program if you weren't trying to combine it with DX
logging and award record-keeping all in the same package. It's your
choice, though. If you want to tackle it that way, I'll be eagerly
anticipating the result.

>> I would like nothing better than to be able to put a Mac back in
>> the shack for contesting as well as normal logging. I don't
>> consider myself a top contester by any stretch of the imagination,
>> but I have pushed my present contesting program to QSO rates of
>> 150-per-hour, and the software is really capable of a lot more
>> than that if I was better at it.
>>
>> Maybe it's farther than this discussion is aiming, but that's my
>> target. Until a contesting program for the Mac gets to that point,
>> I've got a PC in the shack. Use the best tools for the job you
>> need done.
>>

> Have fun with the PC.

If I was "having fun with the PC" I wouldn't still be watching what
is happening on the Mac side of the aisle. I want this effort to be
successful, believe me.

> There are a lot of people who do not accept this and have been
> working very hard to make MacLoggerDX a contesting program and are
> in fact using MacLoggerDX and Cab-Converter for contesting.
>
> I am sorry that you reject this option

I don't "reject" the option. Let's just say I'm skeptical at this
time and would be very happy if you prove me wrong.

> but it is very much alive and we have heard it can't be done before
> - this serves no purpose, it can and is being done.

I would never say anything "can't be done." I gave some opinions of
how it can be done, you have different ideas of how it can be done.
Whatever methods work the best, I'm sure it _can_ be done. I hope at
some point to be able to enjoy the fruits of this project.

73,

John E Bastin, K8AJS
jbastin at sssnet.com
http://www.qsl.net/k8ajs/