[MacLoggerContest] No good deed goes unpunished

Scott Andersen bsandersen at mac.com
Thu Aug 4 11:30:21 EDT 2005

Fellow MacLoggerDX users:

I've been watching the last batch of messages with some
amount of dismay and trepidation. Don Argo's egalitarian
approach to MLDX's design and the unprecedented access
he gives to his users on this list, via email, via IM,
and nearly any other means you can think of, has been
abused, I think. To that point, I'd like to take a step
back and make some observations and comments.

1. MacLoggerDX is a superior piece of software that
    any platform would be proud to have in its stable.

MLDX isn't just a superior Macintosh program; it is a
superior program to its competitors on other platforms
as well. It is well organized, visually stunning, and,
most importantly, rock-solid. I never worry I'm going
to loose data when running it.

2. MacLoggerDX is a fine platform for all but the most
    hard-core contesters.

I've spent many, perhaps too many, hours in front of the
computer doing search-and-pounce and racking up points.
My operating skill, propagation conditions, rudeness of
the lids in the pile-up, all these things may have limited
my success in the adventure. MLDX never has.

3. MacLoggerDX is not going to be the preferred logger
    for the DOS-loving, data-entry-centric, Windows is
    too slow for me, I've been doing it this way for years
    group of operators.

This is not an opportunity for one of Apple's infamous
"Switched" advertisements. MLDX will not fill the above
role. Of course, neither will many of the Windows-based
logging programs -- some of which have strong followings,
happy users, and a good future.

Here's what I'm seeing:
1. Many months ago, some of us contesters approached
Don with some ideas of how MLDX could be changed (in
minor ways) to accommodate the data collection points
needed to support contesting. Don, being hopelessly
open-minded and enthusiastic, agreed eagerly and made
the changes we suggested. Life was good.

2. Change requests started to trickle in. Then it
became a deluge, some requests being contradictory
to each other. Hack-and-whack, try this, hack-and-whack.
No. That's insane. MDLX is a great program because
the design and implementation were thought through
carefully and built with care. Hack-and-whack gives
you the kind of dregs found on other platforms
(not to be named here, in polite company, of course
<grin>).

3. So, a group set off to assemble ideas and forge
consensus. No consensus was forthcoming. Many ideas
(perhaps some good) were floated, but there was
nothing concrete to guide Don's next efforts. We
agreed to disagree.

4. Except NOW we've somehow reverted back to step
two, hack-and-whack.

No. We need to stop. If we can provide Don with
informed, well thought out advice that has the
backing of a significant portion of the MLDX
community, then I'm sure Don would be pleased to
hear our suggestions. We've fallen far short of
that ideal, however, and have been on the brink
of abusing our easy access to the developer.

These are my thoughts except for this final one:
If we did nothing else, I'd still have a pretty good
platform to do contesting with. MLDX, and the small
amount (compared to Don!) of elbow-grease put into
Cab-converter has allowed me to contest year-round.

Let's rethink, regroup, and reorganize before we
accost poor Don again. After all, if we're not
willing to put work into the design ideas we have,
isn't it a bit much to expect Don to put work
into implementing them on our behalf?

My 2-cents. Refunds upon request.

-- Scott (NE1RD)
==> Very happy MLDX user and contester

B. Scott Andersen    | "Magic is real, unless declared integer."
bsandersen at mac.com   | -- The collected sayings of Wiz Zumwalt
Acton, Massachusetts | Ham: NE1RD, QRP ARCI#11588, FP#-910