[MacLoggerContest] [DogParkList] IC756PROIII and MLDX

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Mon May 4 06:09:17 EDT 2009

Hi David,

On 3-May-09, at 4:49 PM, David Kaplan wrote:

> Recently I found that the 756 "Transceive" option was causing the

> radio to drop out. Don suggested that I change it to off, which I

> did. Then the PW1 wouldn't reliably change bands when the 756

> changed bands. I returned the Transceive option to off and the

> system became reliable again, but the dropouts returned!

If you google "PW1 CI-V transceive" you will see that this appears to
be a problem with many logging programs and the PW1.

http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/civ-p1.html

> "What is CI-V Transceive?

> All Icom rigs equipped with CI-V offers the option of enabling/

> disabling CI-V transceive. What is this?

> With CI-V Transceive set to on, two things happen:

> • the rigs transmits data over the bus when frequency or mode

> changes;

> • the rig reacts to data sent over the bus which is adressed not

> only to it's own adress but also to a special adress meaning "all

> rigs connected"

> With CI-V Transceive set to off, the behaviour changes:

> • the rig doesn't send data when you turn the dial or change mode;

> • the rig reacts only to data sent to it's specific adress, data

> sent to "ALL" is ignored."

It would appear that the PW1 is not just a passive listener to the
messages on the CI-V bus but also broadcasts requests for information
to any radio on the bus which has Transceive mode enabled. Naturally
this interferes with any logging program which is regularly polling
the same radio for information.

This is from the Icom PW1 manual...

<http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/kb/Article.aspx?Download=2214>

> "Synchronization

> The PW1 will automatically change bands, as needed, when the radio

> frequency is changed.

> Synchronization may not be possible with a non-Icom radio.

> The synchronization commands are CI-V commands sent from the radio

> via the remote cable.

> Use of a CT-17 is not recommended with the PW1."

I find it interesting that Icom suggests that you do NOT use a CT-17
with the PW1 and ONLY connect it to 1 or 2 Icom radios. This pretty
much discourages anyone from using the PW1 with any logging program.

73 Don Agro VE3VRW