[MacLoggerContest] [DogParkList] Finally! a CT like logger for the Mac!

David Ferrington, M0XDF M0XDF at Alphadene.co.uk
Sat May 23 06:04:54 EDT 2009

Well, conscious of this being a cross post and you know I'm not a
short mailer ....
--
It came to me that reform should begin at home, and since that day I
have

On 23 May 2009, at 09:54, Don Agro wrote:

> Hi David,

> On 23-May-09, at 4:03 AM, David Ferrington, M0XDF wrote:

> Why don't you offer to write a driver for your radio ? He is making

> the source code and project available - if that isn't handing it to

> you on a silver platter I don't know what is.

I don't have the time to do all the things I'm supposed to be doing
right now and wouldn't know where to start, freely admit that writing
a driver is something I've never done or contemplated.

> The fact that it uses a custom font is bad how ?

I have never installed a custom font on any mac I've used - I just
tried to do this one and it doesn't appear to be working correctly,
probably I need to reboot the Mac, the font shows in a new TextEdit
window font selection, but does not let me select it. - Not sure where
the local.conf file goes and that may be the problem.
Does appear to be used in SkookumLogger though.

maybe you can clear something up - do I put the entire folder with the
fonts into the /Library/Fonts dir or just the individual font file?
Were does the local.conf go?

My point is, despite my lack of knowledge, I haven't had to install a
custom font for any of the other 100's of PD/Free/Shareware I've used
in the past.

>> Someone finally develops a CT like contest logger for the Mac and

>> still you complain ?

> Skookumlogger was developed by Bill K1GQ who is the DRI for the Open

> Sourced CT contest logger. He is a very well known contester and a

> MacLoggerDX user since 2002. I doubt you can do too much better than

> he can when it comes to a contest logger.

I wouldn't know that, I have never used CT logger or heard of Bill, I
freely admit I'm relatively new to amateur radio and maybe people in
NA know of CT & Bill more than I do. No disrespect to Bill intended.
I didn't say it wasn't a good application - I said I didn't think it
would make a lot of contesters happy.
I can do more with Contest Window of MLDX right now.

Well, in terms of do better, although not tried, I've read of lots of
loggers that support multiple hardware and multiple contests across
bands, HF/VHF/UHF etc. unfortunately only one for Mac so far. I tried
to get RUMlog working and had a problem with MySQL install that I
didn't get resolved - my fault, but with no time to get anything done,
I did have time to investigate what I have done wrong in installation.
So I guess I want it all on a plate, I want a logger that I can just
install and use, not have to install additional fonts, additional DB
software or write a driver for my rig. Am prepared to write a config
file for configure it for a specific contest and to make that
available to anyone.

I understand that naturally, something written in the US is going to
support US and World contests first. At present I'm only into UK ones
and obviously they aren’t supported yet. And the format for VHF/UHF
logs (at here) is REG1TEST, so I'd need to convert the format.

And since this only supports K3 and requires a WinKeyer, I don't see
how it makes all those who don't have a K3 or Winkeyer happy - I have
downloaded it and at least run it - there are no UK Spider sites
listed and no obvious way of adding one. I can't see how to choose any
particular contest - perhaps I've misunderstood how this works and
maybe if I knew CT it would help (but I don't, and in my book, you
shouldn't have to know any other application to use another, unless
they are intended to interface to each other). I will read the docs
and try to get this working - however, I don't see it connecting to my
K3 via the DIGIkeyer, it might work via my KUSB interface.

Working via µH Router would be a great step forward. Maybe Bill would
be open to providing more Spider sites, additional contests etc.
If I can get to first base I'll contact him.

> Frankly David I find your reaction nothing short of astonishing.

Well, I guess I'm picky.
73 de M0XDF