[MacLoggerContest] Year Missing on Contest Helper Panel?

David Kaplan dhkaplan at mac.com
Sat Jun 6 07:27:32 EDT 2009

On Jun 6, 2009, at 4:16 AM, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:

Hi David,

As one of the serious contesters that gave input to Don when he added/
designed the contest helper panel I thought I should offer an answer
to this ...

Thanks for your calm, reasoned reply... I appreciate it greatly.

The worked before feature for contesters is purely about whether we
have worked the station in that event before and therefore would be
penalised for working a duplicate again, so the year is superfluous.
If set up for this by specifying the date range to dupe check as most
contesters would do, the year would always be displayed the same and
hence no point to display it. As a regular contester, it is very
likely I would have worked lots of stations in the same contests for
years, but frankly that is of little interest to me during a
contest ... simply have I worked them (possibly per mode/band) in the
current contest before.

No, it wouldn't slow me down if the year is there but in general it's
a good principle to minimize the information in front of an operator
when he is doing lots of other stuff with his brain while working
stations as fast as possible. Remember if you are giving away points
in a contest to a "serious"/"big" contest station, the guy you are
working is not simply working stations like you, he making lots of
other judgements and doing other things to maximize his score
simultaneously while working you.

Having been a very low level operator in several contests, I
understand you completely. Actually, you are rebutting your own
argument. First you say it wouldn't slow you down, but then you say
"it's good principle to minimize the information...". I agree with
your latter statement that it wouldn't be good for the operator to
have to "skim" by the year to get the day.

I suppose it would be possible to add even more code to display the
year IF and only IF the date range isn't set to limit the dupe check
to a period in the same year but only Don would know if this is worth
it to please more people. For now, I think the contest helper window
does the best thing for most contesters.

This brings me back to my original question awhile back on the forums:
How would I get an easy replacement for the non-contester dup check?
The little green bulb is handy, but then it takes time to manually
type or copy/paste the call into the sql db call lookup. Originally
someone suggested Contest Helper, which is how this all started, but
having investigated it I found out the year problem. Of course if I am
not in a contest, then the second or two to copy/paste or type the
call is not significant. If I am in a contest (which I occasionally
am), then I don't need the year as you said.

Why don't we "close this trouble ticket", give Don more time to
himself if he'll use it, and go find a contest!

Hope this helps understand the original design idea.

Absolutely, Thanks! 73, David, WA1OUI

73
Jonathan G0DVJ