[MacLoggerContest] Year Missing on Contest Helper Panel?

Jonathan G0DVJ g0dvj at amsat.org
Sat Jun 6 04:16:36 EDT 2009

Hi David,

As one of the serious contesters that gave input to Don when he added/
designed the contest helper panel I thought I should offer an answer
to this ...

The worked before feature for contesters is purely about whether we
have worked the station in that event before and therefore would be
penalised for working a duplicate again, so the year is superfluous.
If set up for this by specifying the date range to dupe check as most
contesters would do, the year would always be displayed the same and
hence no point to display it. As a regular contester, it is very
likely I would have worked lots of stations in the same contests for
years, but frankly that is of little interest to me during a
contest ... simply have I worked them (possibly per mode/band) in the
current contest before.

No, it wouldn't slow me down if the year is there but in general it's
a good principle to minimize the information in front of an operator
when he is doing lots of other stuff with his brain while working
stations as fast as possible. Remember if you are giving away points
in a contest to a "serious"/"big" contest station, the guy you are
working is not simply working stations like you, he making lots of
other judgements and doing other things to maximize his score
simultaneously while working you.

I suppose it would be possible to add even more code to display the
year IF and only IF the date range isn't set to limit the dupe check
to a period in the same year but only Don would know if this is worth
it to please more people. For now, I think the contest helper window
does the best thing for most contesters.

Hope this helps understand the original design idea.
73
Jonathan G0DVJ