[MacLoggerContest] MacLoggerDX Contest panel

David Ferrington, M0XDF M0XDF at Alphadene.co.uk
Fri Nov 13 08:27:21 EST 2009

my comments on Jonathan's comments :-)
--
Study without desire spoils the memory, and it retains nothing that it
takes in. -- Leonardo da Vinci

On 13 Nov 2009, at 09:56, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:

>> I would like to be able to reverse this order, the programs I've

>> come across expect you to enter values in the order of an exchange

>> if you were running (calling CQ), but I search & pounce a lot and

>> generally want to enter values in a different order.

> If you answer me as a S&P station (as opposed to me answering your

> run) I still want you to give me the info in the 'accepted' order

> for the contest - in fact its really frustrating for a big gun to

> have someone making their own order up as they go. You may spend

> time before you call me filling in stuff that you can deduce from

> listening to me working the run of others, but SHIFT TAB still

> allows you to navigate the entry fields backwards and continuous TAB

> would allow you to circularly move from the last to the first field

> as well. The order in which you give your callsign and the whole

> exchange differs between S&P and run modes but the order of the info

> within the exchange shouldn't. (The only exception I am aware of is

> some sprint contests where, because you need to know whose frequency

> it was, some details are reversed).

Oops, think you misunderstood me. I always give a standard exchange as
you would expect, yes it annoys me when people don't, but that's
casual contesting for you. Yes I was thinking of the order in which
you fill fields and yes I agree that the tab/space/return method
provides for that.

> I didn't imagine a drag and drop to allow individuals to re-order

> fields was ever on the cards ... hence trying to use the keys we

> have available to allow improved navigation.

Yes agreed and simple for Don to implement with no possibility of
people getting confused in future.

>>> - Grid only appears on the contest panel if a new checkbox in

>>> Contest Prefs is checked. (This is for VHF & up contesters).

> Furthermore if Grid is selected in Prefs, I would like the Contest

> Helper panel to do two additional things:

> - show the calculated distance (Km for Europe/Miles for NA?)

> between myGrid and the Grid entered at the time of each QSO

> - show a running status line of the 'ODX' i.e the furthest Q in

> this current contest in the form Call, HisGrid, Distance.

Yes, that should be quite possible (is the same regardless of contest
id) and easy to support.

> You mean RSTS and RSTR are both more meaningful (rather than being

> cue words for what follows) in higher band contesting ... yes I agree.

> So this is an additional tweak IF grid is selected in the Prefs.

Yes I did mean that

> How many casual contesters are going to forget to give me their

> report if we do this? However I don't disagree with having your own

> exchange as a prompt card type thing displayed somewhere. Its the

> number that changes each Q that I was primarily concerned about ..

> especially if the operator gets distracted ... then a glance is all

> that's needed to have it leap out at them.

Agreed, the number we need to send in the most important

>> I'd like to get CC producing REG1TEST for VHF+ contests too, but

>> that's a different thread.

> Maybe - I think someone in Region 1 might have to produce a R1T-

> Converter from ADIF ... I can't see our North American friends being

> very bothered about a format used for decades in a different IARU

> region of the world for VHF contests.

I believe NA use REG1TEST for their contest too, but may be mistaken.
I will undertake to produce a REG1TEST format as part of Cab-Converter
sometime, assume Scott agrees with that and if fits into our CC work.
UK Contest committee will take Cabrillo for VHF contest now anyway,
although they prefer REG1TEST.

>> I do think it might be worth providing some simple stats on QSOs

>> per hour.

> It already does this AFAIK .. its a feature in the Contest Helper

> window which Don added at my suggestion quite a while ago.

Ah, I may have missed that.

73 de M0XDF