[MacLoggerContest] MacLoggerDX Contest panel

David Ferrington, M0XDF M0XDF at Alphadene.co.uk
Thu Nov 12 20:04:36 EST 2009

some comments on Rich's & Jonathan's suggestions - these more or less
echo their thinking, I'm just mostly reinforcing it

On 12 Nov 2009, at 01:32, Jonathan G0DVJ wrote:

>> The "Template Editor" would have to be relatively simple to use,

>> i.e., more like a scripting language than writing code. The user

>> should be able to define at least three things:

> But if templating is a step too far, then I have some other

> suggestions ...

Yes, I think templating in the form of a script is too far, for the
following reasons:
• it would invariably cause problems as Rich suggested because of
syntax errors etc
• scripting for MLDX is not very MLDX like, better to have some form
of preferences selection
• as has been said, there are other contest logging programs for the
Mac out there and some do use templates

> - order the fields according to sent and received then other

> received

I would like to be able to reverse this order, the programs I've come
across expect you to enter values in the order of an exchange if you
were running (calling CQ), but I search & pounce a lot and generally
want to enter values in a different order. So being able to specify
the tab order of the fields would be very useful. however, it might
result in people (myself included) getting confused as to where they
are in the sequence - the jurys still out on this one - I'm leaning to
your 'SPACE' idea.

> - Grid only appears on the contest panel if a new checkbox in

> Contest Prefs is checked. (This is for VHF & up contesters).

Yes, that's really important for VHF contests in UK.
Can I get some feedback from US contesters about that please - don't
take part in US VHF contests from over here, but what a lift that
would be if I did :-)

> - RSTS & RSTR are both default populated as 599 (if mode is CW)

> or 59 (if mode is phone). Sent sn is maintained as self-incrementing

> beginning at 001 (not zero) and displaying leading zeros as 3 figure

> serials.

The way MLDX does this is to start at the number you give it, this
allows you to start with a number higher than 001.
I think it will also continue from the number currently in the field,
so if you needed to skip some numbers (perhaps you had a problem and
logged some on paper while you rebooted), you can do.

> - Return behaves like SPACE unless all fields are non-empty in

> which case the QSO is logged and Call, Rcvd sn and Rcvd fields are

> cleared ready for the next QSO.

If this is a VHF contest, the RSTR is meaningful (at least in UK), so
space should go to that first.
We don't always require 'Rcvd sn field'

> - Display the Sent sn at least double size (not shown in mockup

> above)

I'd like to be able to display the exchange I'm sending in large text,
this would require a way to enter that in the prefers pane, but
something like

M0XDF
xxx
IO91PK

where 'xxx' is the serial number I'm sending. This text could be on
the RHS of the 'Contest' panel.

On the log format, I think just logging this in the normal MLDX log
and then producing an ADIF file is the way to go.
Then we can use Cab-Converter to create the correct Cabrillo format
based on the Contest-ID.
I'd like to get CC producing REG1TEST for VHF+ contests too, but
that's a different thread.

I don't think we want to burden MLDX with calculating the score etc,
since I think that involves too much work 'knowing' how thar is done
and that's what CC does. I do think it might be worth providing some
simple stats on QSOs per hour.

**** I'd like to get more input from everyone on this list and
especially from the Americas, I've only seen Rich'sd input from there
(thank you Rich).

73 de M0XDF