[MacLoggerContest] MacLoggerDX Contest panel

Rich Seifert ke1b at richseifert.com
Mon Dec 14 19:36:06 EST 2009

Hello, everyone!

Since the ARRL 10 meter contest is a bit more "low key" than some
others (particularly since getting QSOs on 10 m these days is like
pulling teeth), I decided to use MLDX for the contest logger instead
of my usual N1MM, in the hopes of flushing out some additional ideas
for the contest panel. Here are a few thoughts:

- The flashing red "dupe" indicator is fine, and works "on the fly"
as requested earlier. However, the dupe check needs to be band and
mode selectable. As it is now, it shows a dupe whether you worked the
station on the same band/mode or a different band/mode. Now, in the
10 meter contest the band is all the same, but you *are* allowed to
work the same station on CW and SSB; it would be nice to tell the
dupe checker to check (independently) only on same band and only on
same mode.

-When you first load (or reload) the contest log, the text above the
log entries properly shows "xxx records read from <filename>".
However, it remains with that same text even when additional QSOs are
added to the log. The number does update if you do a search (and
unsearch), or otherwise "touch" the log. It would be nice to have a
running QSO count displayed somewhere.

-When changing mode from CW to SSB, the pre-filled RST field should
automatically change from "599" to "59", and vice-versa, without
manual intervention. (I had to manually edit some SSB log entries
with an RST of 599 because I forgot to change it.)

-As with the callsign field, the STX/RTX fields should force
uppercase, at least from the Contest panel. (It probably wants to
allow upper/lowercase if accessed from anywhere other than the
Contest panel.)

-I know Don has said that it violates cocoa conventions, but tabbing
from the callsign field should take you directly to the first "empty"
field, not to the RST (which is almost invariably left untouched). If
that means that the RST field has to be moved to the other side of
the STX/SRX fields, so be it.

-There could be an option (or a default) to require moving between
fields to be done with the Tab key (as opposed to Tab or Enter), with
Enter used to log the QSO, unless the required fields are filled in
(to avoid accidentally logging a partially filled-in QSO).

Other than that, the program worked well, and a good time was had by all.
With minimal effort, I logged over 100 QSOs from Brazil to the
Pacific Northwest. Even my newly-licensed girlfriend used the program
for her first contest under her own callsign (I am KE1B, she is
KE1BYL--cute?). We liked the ease of switching between the two logs
with a single mouse-stroke using "Open Recent".

Anyone else have other experiences?

Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting
rich at richseifert.com 21885 Bear Creek Way
(408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033
(408) 228-0803 FAX