[MacLoggerContest] MacLoggerDX Contest panel

Rich Seifert ke1b at richseifert.com
Tue Dec 15 11:13:21 EST 2009

>Hi Rich,

>On 2009-12-14, at 7:36 PM, Rich Seifert wrote:

>> - The flashing red "dupe" indicator is fine, and works "on the

>>fly" as requested earlier. However, the dupe check needs to be band

>>and mode selectable. As it is now, it shows a dupe whether you

>>worked the station on the same band/mode or a different band/mode.

>>Now, in the 10 meter contest the band is all the same, but you

>>*are* allowed to work the same station on CW and SSB; it would be

>>nice to tell the dupe checker to check (independently) only on same

>>band and only on same mode.

>The contest Helper does exactly that... checks duplicates by

>selected band or current band.

Yes, I know that. However, the Contest Helper does not filter by
*mode* (some contests, such as last weekend's ARRL 10 meter party,
allow you to work the same station on the same band, as long as it is
in a different mode), plus the Contest Helper doesn't flash red
on-the-fly like the callsign field. When entering a call, your eyes
are on the callsign field--that's where the indication should be.
(But don't get rid of the Contest Helper! The "callsign assistance"
is useful.)

>http://dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX%20Help/mldxfc_contest_helper.html

>> -When you first load (or reload) the contest log, the text above

>>the log entries properly shows "xxx records read from <filename>".

>>However, it remains with that same text even when additional QSOs

>>are added to the log. The number does update if you do a search

>>(and unsearch), or otherwise "touch" the log. It would be nice to

>>have a running QSO count displayed somewhere.

>We do. The contest helper shows QSO/s per minute, time since last

>QSO logged and time since last band change.

>Version 5.21 Beta 8 also displays the exact number of QSOs in the

>log after each QSO is logged.

Thanks!

>> -As with the callsign field, the STX/RTX fields should force

>>uppercase, at least from the Contest panel. (It probably wants to

>>allow upper/lowercase if accessed from anywhere other than the

>>Contest panel.)

>That's an easy one if you are 100% positive that lower case is never

>used in any contest exchange. Version 5.21 Beta 8 does this.

I am pretty sure of this, but would welcome input from anyone else
who knows of a contest that wants upper/lowercase. (Considering that
there is no lowercase in CW, I can't imagine how an exchange would
ever do this.)

73 de KE1B

Rich Seifert Networks and Communications Consulting
rich at richseifert.com 21885 Bear Creek Way
(408) 395-5700 Los Gatos, CA 95033
(408) 228-0803 FAX