[MacLoggerContest] Icom IC-746Pro radio connection with MacloggerDX

Don Agro dagro at dogparksoftware.com
Thu Jan 5 19:09:11 EST 2012

On 2012-01-05, at 6:26 PM, Jimmy Richardson wrote:

> What do I need to connect my Icom IC-746Pro to MacloggerDX? I bought a 9-pin to USB adapter but it did not work. I bought an RT Systems USB RTS01 cable for Icom radios. Drivers on the provided CD were Windows drivers. I called RT Systems. They said the company only has Windows drivers.

> I am running a Mac mini which only has USB ports.

> What can I do to get the logging program to see the radio?

> Jim N5OHL

http://dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX%20Help/mldxfc_faq.html

How do I connect my computer to my radio ?

Most radios will require a USB/Serial adapter, cables and possibly a level converter - check your radio manual for specifics.
OS X does not contain any built in drivers for these devices and you will have to load a driver from the manufacturer's web site.
Dog Park Software Ltd. does not sell, support or recommend any hardware but here are some of the devices our customers are using:
http://dogparksoftware.com/DogParkLinks.html
Install the correct driver from the manufacturer of your USB/Serial adapter. There is usually one for OS 8-9 and for OS X there will be one for PPC and one for Intel or else a Universal Binary (both PPC and Intel). If the port doesn't show up in the Port popup in the MacLoggerDX Radio Prefs Panel - it won't work.
USB/Serial adapters/cables that work on a PC will not work on a Mac unless the manufacturer provides the appropriate Mac OS X driver for it.
Select Port Type microHAM Virtual Port for microKEYER, digiKEYER, CW KEYER devices and Serial Port for all others.
Set the baud rate in the MacLoggerDX Radio Prefs to be the same as the baud rate in the radio.
If you are using an Icom make sure that the CI-V address in the MacLoggerDX Radio Prefs agrees with the one set in the radio, turn Transceive mode off and use the actual baud rate rather than AutoBaud.
If you are using DTR and RTS to key the radio un-check the DTR and RTS check boxes in the MacLoggerDX Radio Prefs - otherwise leave them checked. RTS is used for PTT and DTR is used for CW.
Check the Radio VFO check box. Radio Not Connected will change to "YourRadioName available". "YourRadioName" will be set to the radio driver you have selected.
If you hear the disconnect buzzer there is a communications problem.
Please enable the Debug Log check box in the Radio Prefs Panel, click the VFO check box on and off a few times and copy and paste the relevant Console Application Messages into an email as well as a screen shot of your Radio Prefs.

Note: The Console Application is in /Applications/Utilities.
Note: Screen Shot: Enter <command> <shift> 4 then pick your corners, and the screen shot is placed on your desktop.
Note: You can use W7AY's Serial Tools to debug the CAT connection to the radio. This removes MacLoggerDX from the equation and allows you to test the USB/Serial adapter, cable and radio.

73 de VE3VRW Don Agro