[PAGID] SQ gammaglobulin reaction

Rathkopf Melinda M Maj 759 MDOS/MMIA Melinda.Rathkopf at LACKLAND.AF.MIL
Mon Jul 11 11:27:52 EDT 2005

We are not using SQ Ig here, but one of our neurologist who is using IVIG
sent us this case:

"Have you heard of any dermatologic skin reactions to IVIG?  I have a
gentleman that developed a mild skin rash on his palms following his first
IVIG course (for neuropathy) at BAMC in March.  The rash persisted, but
never got any worse.  In May, he got a 2nd IVIG course, and the rash surged.
Its a distal, exfoliative rash involving his palms, and recently became
noticable on the soles of his feet.  BAMC dermatologists apparently thought
this was a "delayed IVIG reaction", and their allergists agreed (albeit
reluctantly).

He's now >6wks out from his last IVIG use, and the rash is still there (if
not worse).  Ever heard of this before?  I'm going to send him to our
dermatologists for a 2nd opinion, but I thought I'd ask your advice also.
Thanks for your help!"

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Melinda M. Rathkopf, MD