[PAGID] CVID with absent IgG

Shelly Harvey sharvey_pdai at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 09:24:53 EST 2005

I have one of these in my practice as well, and I believe my partners have a couple more.  My patient, amazingly, has not been seriously ill.  Only recurrent sinusitis that doesn't even make him feel very ill.  Since starting IVIG, though, his quality of life has improved.  He also has pulmonary lymphadenopathy that is currently undergoing eval - possible lymphoma.
  Shelly Harvey, MD (Dallas)

"Saxon, Andy M.D." <ASaxon at mednet.ucla.edu> wrote:
  A colleague of mine recently saw a 58 yo man with a history of 10+ years of
recurrent pneumonia and one episode of bacterial sepsis. His QIG was IgA < 7
mg/dL (nl 80-400), IgG <8 mg/dl (nl 690-1660). IgE ,0.1 IU/mL. IgM not done
but "decreased" on IEP. C3, C4, T and B cells % and # normal but CD4 28%
with absolute 294 (normal 355-1426.) Albumin 3.1 with nl 3.3-4.7

I have seen a fair # of CVID in my time but I don't recall seeing one with
an IgG this low... What is your experience.

Andy Saxon, UCLA

 Yahoo! Personals