[PAGID] RE: A-T and hepatocarcinoma. .

Sandlund, John John.Sandlund at STJUDE.ORG
Tue Mar 21 13:36:52 EST 2006

Dear Drs. Rosenzweig and Ruprecht,
  Thank you for your inquiry regarding this patient.  I have not seen
this type of tumor in an A-T patient before (A-T patients most commonly
develop a malignant lymphoma or leukemia).  I discussed this child with
our institutional expert on hepatocellular carcinoma.  He said that
total surgical resection is the only known curative measure.  If the
tumor is completely resected, he would hold off on the use of chemo at
all, because complete surgical resection is the only modality shown to
be curative.
   I assume that your description of the surgical procedure as "total
macroscopic removal" of the tumor, means that you don't know yet whether
the margins are positive or not.  Is that correct?  The use of
chemotherapy for residual disease would be considered investigational.
If your patient has only microscopic residual disease, you would have no
way to measure activity of the experimental agents you select.  If the
patient has measurable residual disease, or if the tumor recurs, the
attached regimen could be consider; however, it is experimental and is
very toxic.  I'm also attaching a copy of the background section of our
St. Jude institutional protocol which reviews general principles for
giving chemotherapy to A-T patients.  For example, we make an 25%
reduction in the dose of topo inhibitors (eg., anthracyclines).
Best wishes,
Torrey
(I'm cc others who forwarded your e-mail to me, so that they are "in the
loop" regarding my response)