[PAGID] IVIG potential benefit?

Shelly Harvey sharvey_pdai at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 8 12:23:18 EDT 2006

Thank you.  Since her pneumonia 18 months ago, her infections have consisted of mostly viral URI's, sometimes with otitis, C.Diff enteritis (while not on abx), and another poorly defined episode of enteritis that required hospitalization.  All infections have responded to antibiotic therapy.  Her quality of life is mostly affected by her lupus, not infections.

"Sorensen, Ricardo" <RSoren at lsuhsc.edu> wrote:        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}        st1\:*{behavior:url(#default#ieooui) }                The problem with discussing IgG replacement in this patient is that the present clinical status is not defined. How often is the patient sick? How many days of work that she miss due to infections? How often does she require antibiotics? Are antibiotics effective. What is her quality of life, etc.

  The only antibody abnormality seems to be a persistent, mildly decreased IgM. This may signal a dysfunctional antibody production. But this would be irrelevant if there are no documented recurrent infections.

  Ricardo U Sorensen, MD
  LSU Health Science Center and Children’s Hospital,
  New Orleans