[PAGID] ? XLA

Luigi Notarangelo luigi.notarangelo at childrens.harvard.edu
Fri Jan 26 08:12:47 EST 2007

Dear Lisa,

I would not be impressed by lack of in vitro response to antigens in a
4-month-old infant.

I have seen cases of Pneumocystis jiroveci infection in the context of XLA,
so that is in fact a possibility (although 1% B cells is a bit too high for
XLA). However, the high IgM are unusual. NEMO, as suggested by Jordan, is a
good possibility that needs to be explored.
None of the cases I have seen with CD40L or with CD40 deficiency had very
low B cell numbers.

Gigi Notarangelo
Professor of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School
Division of Immunology, Children's Hospital
Karp Building, 9th floor, Rm 09210
1 Blackfan Circle
02115 Boston, MA
tel: 617-919-2276