[PAGID] options for DGS

Chinen, Javier (NIH/NHGRI) [E] jchinen at nhgri.nih.gov
Fri Jan 26 09:30:55 EST 2007

I would appreciate any input regarding BMT for complete DiGeorge syndrome. I know of the two succesful cases published in the late 80's, and one recent report from Japan; but would like to have an idea of how many more have been tried and how many have been unsuccesful.
We have two patients, normal T cell counts but zero naive T cells and poor proliferation, B and NK cells present, no thymus by CT, hypocalcemia, cardiac defects, one with typical DGS facies. One has 6/6 HLA match donor. Both have no chromosomal abnormalities (though very similar to the 'atypical's described by Dr. Markert), and have been negative for deletions in the RAG genes and ADA/PNP. Multiple infections, periodic hypernatremia likely due to anti-CMV drugs.
They are not candidates for thymus transplant (CMV infection and protocol is closed at the moment)

Thanks,

Javier