[PAGID] student lectures

Richard L. Wasserman, M.D.,Ph.D. richw3 at swbell.net
Tue Jun 26 20:36:32 EDT 2007

For many years I have had three hours in the second year
Micro/Immunology course to teach immunodeficiency. I have had one hour
of didactic discussion of the presentations of disorders of host defense
classified by system (barriers, B cells, T cells, phagocytes,
complement), one hour of case presentations and one hour of a patient
panel with four PID patients telling their stories and answering
questions. My goal has been to raise awareness of PID so students will
think of it sooner rather than later.

The curriculum committe has decided that three hours is too much and has
cut me to two hours. I am appealing. I would appreciate any suggestions/
literature references supportion the notion that three hours is
appropriate for these disorders.

Thanks,
Richard L. Wasserman, MD,PhD
Clinical Professor of Pediatrics
University of Texas Southwestern Medical School