[PAGID] student lectures

Charles.Kirkpatrick at UCHSC.edu Charles.Kirkpatrick at UCHSC.edu
Wed Jun 27 14:31:43 EDT 2007

Richard, congratulations fo getting 3 hours for so many years.

Our freshman students have a long course in Immunology taught by JJ
Cohen. He often wins the teaching award. The amount of time devoted to
immune deficiency is about 1-2 hours total. There are no case
presentations. The students may not see immunology as a formal
discipline again unless they take and elective in the Allergy/Immunology
Clinics. We see about one student every 2-3 years in the elective
program.

Things get better in the Medical Residency Program. There is no formal
teaching of allergy/immunology in the program other than 1 hour lectures
on immune deficiency, anaphylaxis and asthma (separate lectures) that
are given a noon once a year.

However, the elective for medical residents in the Allergy/Immunology
Clinics is growing in popularity. I just got the schedule today; for
2007-2008, we have 1 resident each month in the elective program. The
downside is many of the residents also take vacation during this
elective.

Most of the medical residents have not had any immunology experience
since medical school. A few have seen a case of CVID and seen SLE as
some rheumatic diseases and adverse drug reactions. It would be great
if we could figure out a way to get them into a teaching environment
earlier.

Chuck Kirkpatrick