[PAGID] IVIG and aseptic meningitis

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Wed Dec 5 13:27:24 EST 2007

I agree with Anita- dividing the dose and giving smaller increments more frequently certainly might help, and sub-cu usually facilitates that. If that is not feasible, we often try to prophylax delayed migraines with prednisone at the end of the infusion, 24 and 48 hrs later for the next couple of infusions, and/or periactin the morning after the infusion and the next morning. Often after 2 or 3 infusions, or with a different product, severe headaches/migraines remit, but some people continue to have them like clockwork 48-72 hours after the infusion. It has never been clear to me whether post infusion migraine and aseptic meningitis are part of a spectrum or have different pathophysiologies.

Melvin Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
phone 216 844 3237

Director, Jeffrey Modell Center for Primary Immune Deficiencies
Division of Allergy-Immunology
Rainbow, Babies and Children's Hospital
University Hospitals of Cleveland
RB&C Rm 504, MS 6008B
11100 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106

________________________________

From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org on behalf of Anita Gewurz
Sent: Wed 12/5/2007 12:55 PM
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: Re: [PAGID] IVIG and aseptic meningitis

Chris,

SC gammaglobulin (SCGG) would avoid the problem. If you have a young child on SCGG who could show your patient how it works, he might be less fearful of it. Any local discomfort with initial infusions can be minimized with topical lidocaine and lower starting doses. As Mel Berger and others will tell you, the infusion can be completed while the patient watches a video, does homework or sleeps and can go with him on vacation trips. Quality-of-life is better for the whole family and so are trough IgGs.

Good luck!

Anita

Anita Gewurz MD <agewurz at rush.edu>
Section of Allergy/Immunology