[PAGID] severe lymphopenia and gastroenteritis in an infant: Does it always have to be a SCID ?

Dr. med. Jan Rohr jan.rohr at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Sun Dec 9 07:15:18 EST 2007

Dear colleagues,

A now 15 months old little boy was referred to our Immunology Clinic for
a second opinion after having been followed in another hospital for 7
months.

Short summary of the history:
Parents not consanguinous, but from the same village in Serbia. The
child had no medical problems until the age of 5 months when he
developed severe gastroenteritis and edema lasting for more than 30
days. Rota- and Adenovirus were both found in his stool. Blood studies
showed severe hypoproteinemia (including all Immunglobuline types) as
well as a profound lymphocytopenia (nadir: total lymphs - 470/µl, CD3+
101/µl, 19+ 244, CD4+3+ 36 /µl, CD8+3+ 46, CD16+56+ 50 /µl) - results
were confirmed on several occasions. Lymphocyte proliferation studies
showed a severe impaiment (PHA with and without IL-2, ConA, OKT3). A
diagnosis of SCID was presumed and the patient received prophylactic
antimicrobials and IgG replacement. Intestinal biopsy showed increased
numbers of eosinophils in the duodenum, ileum and colon.
He recovered from his enteropathy after about 5 weeks and the lymphocyte
counts slowly increased again (ALC: 1300/µl). Two weeks after that first
episode he again suffered from a severe gastroenteritis - findings were
identical to the above mentioned episode, except that no organisms were
found. This episod only lasted for two weeks. Again the lymphocyte
counts slowly rose again (ALC about 1000/µl). Again two weeks later the
whole family suffered from norovirus-infection. However, our little
patient had loose stools for only two days, was otherwise well and then
recovered rapidly.
Now, 3,5 months after that last episode of gastroenteritis, he is
thriving well, has normal lymphocyte counts, normal counts of the
different subpopulations of lymphocytes including naive T cells and
almost normal proliferative response to PHA and Anti-CD3/CD28-stimulation.

My questions is: Can a severe gastroenteritis explain not only the
hypogammaglobulinemia, but also such a severe loss of lymphocytes ? Is
there an association of what is called a "eosinophil gastroenteritis"
with lymphopenia (I was unable to find such an associtation in the
literature) ?

Best wishes from Germany,

Jan

Dr. med. Jan Rohr
Pediatric Immunology
Centre of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine
Freiburg University Hospital
Mathildenstr. 1
79106 Freiburg
Germany