[PAGID] Malakoplakia

Anita Gewurz agewurz at rush.edu
Tue Feb 26 18:17:52 EST 2008

Dear Colleagues:

We have a 30-year-old African-American female patient who has been
diagnosed with colonic and renal malakoplakia (variant spelling,
malacoplakia). This is a very rare disease, as noted below FYI*.
Similarities to CGD and Whipple's disease (WD) have been noted and
individual cases with overlap of CGD or WD and malakoplakia
reported. Our patient has normal PBMC phenotypes and in vitro
antibody. She is not on corticosteroid therapy and does not have a
known risk factor for malakoplakia. Neither has she responded to
extended treatment with levofloxacin. Her condition is worsening,
and the prognosis is death from obstruction or other complications.
Our questions are do you have any advice for treating or testing this
patient?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Lily Hwang MD, A/I Fellow-in-Training
Anita Gewurz MD <agewurz at rush.edu>
Section of Allergy/Immunology
Department of Immunology/Microbiology
Rush University Medical Center
1725 W Harrison - 117
Chicago IL 60612
TEL (312) 942-6296
FAX (312) 563-2201

*According to the 2005 eMedicine.com review by Ralph McKiel MD,
Department of Dermatology, Wayne State University http://
www.emedicine.com/derm/topic872.htm and other sources, malakoplakia
is an uncommon chronic granulomatous disease of the skin or viscera
characterized by "foamy histiocytes" — macrophages containing
Michaelis-Guttman bodies. The latter are believed to result from an
acquired defect in macrophage bactericidal activity, as bacteria such
as E. coli, have been cultured from lesions, and resolution following
lengthy treatment with quinolone or sulfonamide antibiotics has
occurred. The main risk factor appears to be immunosuppression.
There is positive association with lymphoma, rheumatoid arthritis,
diabetes and chronic corticosteroid therapy or immunosuppression for
organ transplantation, but not with HIV infection.