[PAGID] Attached umbilical cord in 8 week old

Chris Seroogy cmseroogy at pediatrics.wisc.edu
Wed Mar 5 14:52:35 EST 2008

Dear Colleagues:

I saw an 8 week old FT male in clinic this week with a solidly attached
umbilical stump. He has had two hospitalizations for pneumonia. One at 3
weeks (documented RSV) and the second bilateral infiltrates responsive to
antibiotics 2 weeks ago with documented resolution. His weight is at the
10%ile and down from birth (25-50%ile). Normal immunoglobulins, normal T, B
and NK cell numbers. Initially with the second hospitalization he was
slightly neutropenic (ANC 1000) and this has normalized. He has never had a
leukocytosis on numerous CBCs. His flow for CD18 and CD11b is normal. I
intend to send DHR. It seems he needs more PMN functional studies, but I am
perplexed by the lack of leukocytosis. I welcome any thoughts. Regards,
Chris

Chris Seroogy, M.D.

Assistant Professor

Dept. of Pediatrics