[PAGID] Attached umbilical cord in 8 week old

Chinen, Javier jxchinen at TexasChildrensHospital.org
Wed Mar 5 15:25:45 EST 2008

One possibility that has been described with delayed umbilical cord separation is associated to urachal remnants.
Is the stump still wet? The teaching of this sign for LAD suspicion may need to be modified with adding redness, oozing or a positive culture.
Javier Chinen

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 13:52:35 -0600
From: Chris Seroogy <cmseroogy at pediatrics.wisc.edu>
Subject: [PAGID] Attached umbilical cord in 8 week old
To: "pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org" <pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org>

Dear Colleagues:

I saw an 8 week old FT male in clinic this week with a solidly attached
umbilical stump. He has had two hospitalizations for pneumonia. One at 3
weeks (documented RSV) and the second bilateral infiltrates responsive to
antibiotics 2 weeks ago with documented resolution. His weight is at the
10%ile and down from birth (25-50%ile). Normal immunoglobulins, normal T, B
and NK cell numbers. Initially with the second hospitalization he was
slightly neutropenic (ANC 1000) and this has normalized. He has never had a
leukocytosis on numerous CBCs. His flow for CD18 and CD11b is normal. I
intend to send DHR. It seems he needs more PMN functional studies, but I am
perplexed by the lack of leukocytosis. I welcome any thoughts. Regards,
Chris

Chris Seroogy, M.D.

Assistant Professor

Dept. of Pediatrics

Mail:? H4/474 CSC, Mailstop 4108

Shipping:? H4/431 CSC, Mailstop 4108

600 Highland Ave.

Madison, WI? 53792

phone: 608- 263-2652

fax: 608-265-0164

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
The information in this e-mail may be confidential and/or
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient or an
authorized representative of the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, or
copying of this e-mail and its attachments, if any, or
the information contained herein is prohibited. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail
from your computer system. Thank you.