[PAGID] Attached umbilical cord in 8 week old

Conley, Mary-Ellen maryellen.conley at STJUDE.ORG
Thu Mar 6 10:02:01 EST 2008

Hi Chris,
You have done an excellent job of stirring up the pot with interesting cases. With your 8 week old baby, I would use time to help point you in the right direction. I agree with several people that prolonged retention of the cord may not have much meaning unless the stump shows clear signs of infection. A viral infection followed by a bacterial infection doesn't give you a clear lead. If the child has siblings at home, he may have been unlucky. His fall in growth percentiles may be because he has been acutely ill and may be because he is not destined to be a very big guy. I would see him every 4 weeks and tell the mom to call with problems.

As to your CGD patient with cystitis, I agree with the pro-steroids stance. In our patient with granulomatous cystitis, we tried to taper him off steroids twice. One time we went very slowly, over a year. We failed. Now he looks and feels very well on 10 mg every other (he weighs 22 kg). He has had normal growth. We follow by ultra sound.

Again a reminder - please sign with your full name, your city (institution) and country. We are a delightfully internatiional group and it is fun to get to know each other. Thanks
Mary Ellen

Mary Ellen Conley, MD
Department of Immunology
St. Jude Children's Research Hospital