[PAGID] pt with recurrent herpes infections and destructive nasal lesion

Kimberly Risma Kimberly.Risma at cchmc.org
Tue Apr 22 21:35:57 EDT 2008

These cases of TAP defects are so rare, I wonder if others who have seen
them wouldn't mind piping in as well as I am very interested in the spectrum
of phenotype.

In the case of this 19yo, was the "normal" MHC class I expression based on flow cytometry or
based on HLA serotyping (rarely seen by a junior faculty member such as myself!)?

One thought that I have is to look carefully at his existing CD8 cells-
By testing in vitro CTL function you may have a functional readout of both
MHC presentation through class I and CTL responsiveness, although
an abnormal result will not allow you discern where the defect lies per se.
Second, you can look at the perforin and granzyme content of the existing
CD8 cells. It would be very interesting if you found that your patient was
deficient in these two proteins which are only acquired after conversion
into effector and/or memory cells. If class I presentation is defective, then
I would anticipate a very naive looking group of CD8 cells, as if he were
a newborn child.

Kim

Kimberly Risma MD, PhD
Assistant Professor
Allergy Immunology
Childrens Hospital Medical Center
3333 Burnet Ave, mlc 2000
Cincinnati, OH 45229
Kimberly.Risma at cchmc.org

>>> Charlotte Cunningham-Rundles <charlotte.cunningham-rundles at mssm.edu> 4/22/2008 3:21 PM >>>

Although Class 1 found, sounds like TAP defect :

midline granulomas seem to be a clear part of this syndrome.

Clin Exp Immunol. 2000 Aug;121(2):173-8. TAP deficiency syndrome.
Gadola SD, Moins-Teisserenc HT, Trowsdale J, Gross WL, Cerundolo V.

(We have a very similar pt)

--

Charlotte Cunningham-Rundles MD PhD
Professor of Medicine, Pediatrics and Immunobiology
Email: charlotte.cunningham-rundles at mssm.edu