[PAGID] Cylex test

Marc Riedl mriedl at mednet.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 2 15:55:26 EDT 2008

Andrew,

I have a bit of experience with this test at our institution. Our
transplant services have are using it quite frequently as a data point in
guiding immunosuppressive therapy. My impression is that there is a great
deal of interindividual variability in the test, so it's primary usefulness
may be in following cellular immune function in an individual over time.
Anecdotally, I've ordered it on a few occasions in CVID patients or the rare
adult patient with suspected cellular immunodeficiency to compare results
with lymphocyte proliferation assays. Patients with absent proliferative
Cylex assay. A large cohort of normal controls looked at by the Univ. of
Miami had a mean value in the "moderate" range as well. So in our
population, the test won't discriminate between normals and patients with
cellular immunodeficiency vs. antigens and I wouldn't trust it as a
screening tool at present. This may obviously be different in pediatric
patients with more profound cellular immunodeficiency, but I don't know of
any such data.

Best,

Marc

Marc Riedl, M.D., M.S.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Section Head, Clinical Immunology and Allergy
UCLA - David Geffen School of Medicine
10833 Le Conte Ave, 37-131 CHS
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1680
Tel 310.206.4345 Fax 310.267.0090