[PAGID] Autoimmune neutropenia

raas0027 at umn.edu raas0027 at umn.edu
Tue Jul 15 14:27:18 EDT 2008

Chris,

Does he have eosinophilia? Had GI endoscopy with biopsy? I.e. does he have
a primary eosinophilic disorder, atopic derm AND AI neutropenia (lots of
bad luck)?

Or is there a unifying thread - your main question.

Theoretically atopic derm can/does result in staph colonization. Combine
this with the AI neutropenia and could result in this child's clinical
picture. A simplistic view, but a possibility.

We have a number of children with AI neutropenia and recurrent infection
who have had significant improvement on prophylactic amoxicillin.

As the evaluation goes on, what about aggressive skin therapy (which you
are probably doing) and prophylactic antibiotics that cover staph (e.g.
TMP/SMX)?

Interesing case. I too, look forward to other's comments.

Regards,

jason

Jason P. Raasch, MD

Midwest Immunology Clinic