[PAGID] Autoimmune neutropenia

Ashish Kumar kumar036 at umn.edu
Tue Jul 15 16:21:12 EDT 2008

Chris,

You described a typical case of autoimmune neutropenia. AIN can last a
long time and I don't think G-CSF is doing much other than making us
feel better when we temporarily fix his neutropenia. You could give him
all the G-CSF you want, but as soon as you stop it, his neutropenia will
recur. The bone marrow findings are also typical of AIN. I have a hard
time chalking the sepsis/osteomyelitis to AIN, and it may be the other
way around. MRSA osteomyelitis can occur with a normal neutrophil count too.

I have a patient who had sever AD and FTT, who had eosiniphilia, high
IgE, and initially also had lymphocytosis - ALC of 24k, mostly T-cells.
He too had normal FOXP3 expression with relatively high number of
CD25+/FOXP3+ cells and every other immune testing was negative as well.
I found him to have a heterozygous RAG-2 mutation, one that hasn't been
described before. No one knows if this was a red herring or not, but my
patient is also African-American with a strong family history of atopic
dermatitis. He also tested positive for all food allergies. I tried
several topical steroid preparations for his skin, none worked and he
had chronic watery diarrhea that kept him from gaining weight. At 10
months, he weighed 4.5 Kg. Systemic steroids made him a new kid in 1
week. When I tapered the steroids, his skin and diarrhea flared again,
so I have initiated a very slow wean. He has finally gained some weight.
I now ignore the food allergy tests in these patients and rely on
challenge which typically allows resumption of a normal diet.

Ashish

Ashish Kumar, MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Division of Hematology/Oncology/Blood and Marrow Transplantation
University of Minnesota

Electronic messages can be misdirected or intercepted by unintended parties. The University of Minnesota can not and does not guarantee the confidentiality of messages sent over the Internet. Messages sent to or received from work e-mail accounts also may be monitored or viewed by your employer. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the information.