[PAGID] CVID/HIGM/ALPS

Brian Vickery brian.vickery at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 12:51:38 EDT 2008

Interesting case, Lisa. I don't know much about Achromobacter but in reading
about it I came across a case report of a CD40-deficient patient with
lymphadenopathy as the source of persistent Achromobacter bacteremia. I'd
keep looking for other causes of HIGM:

Clinical Infectious Diseases 2000;31:1183–1187

DOI: 10.1086/317461
Recurrent *Achromobacter xylosoxidans* Bacteremia Associated with Persistent
Lymph Node Infection in a Patient with Hyper–Immunoglobulin M Syndrome

Jörn-Hendrik Weitkamp,1 Yi-Wei Tang,2,3 David W. Haas,2, 4Narinder K. Midha,
3 and James E. Crowe, Jr.1,4

Departments of 1Pediatrics, 2Medicine, 3Pathology, and 4Microbiology and
Immunology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee

*Achromobacter xylosoxidans* (formerly *Alcaligenes xylosoxidans*) is a rare
but important cause of bacteremia in immunocompromised patients, and strains
are usually multiply resistant to antimicrobial therapy. We report an
immunocompromised patient with hyper–immunoglobulin M syndrome who suffered
from 14 documented episodes of *A. xylosoxidans* bacteremia. Each episode
was treated and resulted in rapid clinical improvement, with blood cultures
testing negative for bacteria. Between episodes, *A. xylosoxidans* was
isolated from an excised right axillary lymph node, whereas the culture of
the central venous catheter, removed at the same time, was negative.
Multiple cultures from sputum, stool, and urine samples, as well as from
gastrointestinal biopsies or environmental sources, were negative. Results
from antibiotic sensitivity testing and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis
suggested that a single strain of *A. xylosoxidans* caused the recurrent
bacteremias in this patient; this strain originated from persistently
infected lymph nodes. Lymphoid hyperplasia is a prominent characteristic of
hyper-IgM syndrome and may serve as a source of bacteremia with
low-pathogenicity organisms.
Best regards,
Brian

Brian Vickery, MD
Instructor
Division of Pediatric Allergy & Immunology
Duke University School of Medicine
919.684.9083 (ofc)
919.970.9095 (pgr)