[PAGID] CVID/HIGM/ALPS

Berger, Melvin Melvin.Berger at UHhospitals.org
Thu Aug 7 15:18:13 EDT 2008

Does he have any IgE ?

Melvin Berger, M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Pediatrics and Pathology
Case Western Reserve University
phone 216 844 3237

Director, Jeffrey Modell Center for Primary Immune Deficiencies
Division of Allergy-Immunology
Rainbow, Babies and Children's Hospital
University Hospitals of Cleveland
RB&C Rm 504, MS 6008B
11100 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44106

________________________________

From: pagid-bounces at list.clinimmsoc.org on behalf of Lisa Kobrynski, MD, MPH
Sent: Thu 8/7/2008 10:45 AM
To: pagid at list.clinimmsoc.org
Subject: [PAGID] CVID/HIGM/ALPS

I was hoping to get some suggestions on a patient of mine
I am following a 10 year old boy who presented initially with lymphadenitis and
bronchiectasis at age 4 years. He had malakoplakia found by the pathologists in
his tonsillar tissue after a tonsillectomy.

He initially had low IgG and IgA with a normal IgM and very poor specific
antibody responses and was given a diagnosis of CVID.
Over the years he has had assorted infections (yersinia, salmonella enteritis,
pneumonia) but developed very significant cervical lymphadenopathy last year.
Repeated biopsies have not shown any malignant transformation or clonality of
the cells. One node became necrotic and grew achromobacter xylosidans, which he
has had intermittently in the blood ever since. It is not resistant to
everything. Also his IgM is now over 3000. ALPS panel initially showed an
increase in DN T cells, activated T cells and a decrease in memory B cells. DN
T cell % had decreased at the last measurement.
He has minimal hilar adenopathy, some mild inguinal adenopathy, but the cervical
LN are the biggest issue.

I want to take a poll and find out who thinks this is just CVID with
lymphoproliferation? SHould we treat him with chemotherapeutic agents to
suppress the lymphoproliferation?
Could this have been ALPS all along?
WHo thinks this is a HyperIgM - AID or UNG defect? (We checked CD40 and CD40L
and they were normal)

Thanks
Lisa

Lisa Kobrynski, MD, MPH
Associate Professor of Pediatrics
Division of Allergy and Immunology
Emory University
404-727-3575
404-727-5045 (fax)

Visit us at www.UHhospitals.org.

The enclosed information is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL and is intended for the use of the addressee only. University Hospitals and its affiliates disclaim any responsibility for unauthorized disclosure of this information to anyone other than the addressee.

Federal and Ohio law protect patient medical information, including psychiatric_disorders, (H.I.V) test results, A.I.Ds-related conditions, alcohol, and/or drug_dependence or abuse disclosed in this email. Federal regulation (42 CFR Part 2) and Ohio Revised Code section 5122.31 and 3701.243 prohibit disclosure of this information without the specific written consent of the person to whom it pertains, or as otherwise permitted by law.