[PAGID] Seeking help with what appears to be an autosomal dominant inflammatory disorder

Kathleen E. Sullivan sullivak at mail.med.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 4 06:33:45 EDT 2008

Please see some resources below. I have heard Polly Ferguson speak
and I know her work is moving quite quickly. Although Majeed
syndrome is AR, you could certainly envision other mutations of the
same gene or associated proteins which could be AD.

The syndrome of chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis and
congenital dyserythropoietic anaemia. Report of a new family and a
review
Auteur(s) / Author(s)
MAJEED Hasan A. (1) ; AL-TARAWNA Mosleh (2) ; EL-SHANTI Hatem (3) ;
KAMEL Basem (4) ; AL-KHALAILEH Fatma (2) ;
Affiliation(s) du ou des auteurs / Author(s) Affiliation(s)
(1) Department of Paediatrics, University of Jordan, Amman, JORDANIE
(2) Division of Haematology, Department of Pathology, University of
Jordan, Amman, JORDANIE
(3) Department of Pediatrics, Jordan University of Science and
Technology, Irbid, JORDANIE
(4) Al-Basheer Hospital, Ministry of Public Health, Amman, JORDANIE
Résumé / Abstract
A new autosomal recessive syndrome of chronic recurrent multifocal
osteomyelitis (CRMO) and congenital dyserythropoietic anaemia (CDA)
with microcytosis has recently been described in four children (two
sibships) of one consangineous Arab family. In this report, we
describe the clinical features and course of the syndrome of CRMO and
CDA in two additional patients (one sibship) from another
consanguineous Arab family and review the literature. The two
patients (brother and sister), the products of a consanguineous
marriage, developed the syndrome at an early age of 3 weeks and 2
months respectively. The diagnosis of CRMO was confirmed by
radiological and technetium isotope bone scans. Bone marrow studies
confirmed the diagnosis of CDA. Peripheral blood films showed
hypochromia and microcytosis. The sites involved by CRMO were
periarticular, mainly around the elbow, knee, wrist and small joints
of the hand. The brother is now 21 years old and the sister 3.5 years
old and CRMO is still active with frequent relapses. The brother
developed flexion deformities at the age of 13 years. Both patients
failed to thrive; weight and height were below the 5th percentile.
Conclusion: this is the second report of the syndrome of chronic
recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis and microcytic congenital
dyserythropoietic anaemia, confirming it as a clinical entity,
inherited as an autosomal recessive trait. The disease is
characterised by an early onset, long clinical course of remissions
and relapses, and seems to be different from the sporadic form of
chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis.
Revue / Journal Title
European journal of pediatrics ISSN 0340-6199 CODEN EJPEDT

Polly Ferguson, MD
Research Profile

Division: Hematology/Oncology & Rheumatology
Pediatric Subspecialty: Rheumatology

Contact Information:
Office Tel: (319) 356-1608
Fax: (319) 356-7659
E-mail: polly-ferguson at uiowa.edu
Education and Training:

Predoctoral and Doctoral Education
BS, 1986, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
MD, 1990, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa

Postgraduate Medical Education
Pediatric Intern, 1990-1991, University of Virginia, Charlottesville,
Virginia
Pediatric Resident, 1991-1993, University of Virginia,
Charlottesville, Virginia

Pediatric Immunology & Rheumatology Fellow, 1993-1997, University of
Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, 1997-1999, University of Virginia,
Charlottesville, Virginia
Research Associate in Microbiology Pediatric Fellow, 1999-2000,
University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
Research Interests

Chronic Recurrent Multifocal Osteomyelitis (CRMO)
CRMO is a chronic inflammatory disease of unknown etiology. It
primarily affects children and results in recurrent fever and the
development of multiple inflammatory bone lesions. It is frequently
seen in association with other, more common, inflammatory disorders
such as psoriasis, inflammatory bowel disease and cutaneous
pustulosis making it a particularly interesting disorder to study.
There are reports of affected siblings in the literature and
published evidence for a susceptibility locus for CRMO on human
chromosome 18q suggesting a genetic component to its etiology. In
addition, there is a syndromic, autosomal recessive disorder, called
Majeed syndrome, in which CRMO is a major clinical feature. The
genetic basis of CRMO is further supported by the existence of a
similar disorder in the mouse (cmo, chronic multifocal osteomyelitis)
resulting from a spontaneous mutation that is inherited as an
autosomal recessive trait. In collaboration with Dr. Hatem El-Shanti
in the Division of Medical Genetics, we are in the process of
dissecting the genetic basis of CRMO utilizing all 3 available
models. First, the El-Shanti lab has recently demonstrated that
Majeed Syndrome, a syndromic form of CRMO, is caused by defects in
the LPIN2 gene. Second, my laboratory has recently identified the
gene defect in the cmo mouse and are currently performing experiments
to determine the immunologic abnormalities in these mice. Third, we
(El-Shanti and Ferguson) are collecting DNA from patients with
sporadic (non-syndromic) CRMO to see if we can determine the gene
defect(s) in these patients. The goal of this research is to
understand the genetic basis of chronic, non-infectious
osteomyelitis. Knowledge about the gene defect(s) present in CRMO may
aid in the understanding of the pathways of inflammation involved,
not only in CRMO, but also in the inflammatory disorders that
frequently accompany this disorder such as psoriasis and inflammatory
bowel disease.

Kathleen E. Sullivan MD PhD
Chief, Division of Allergy and Immunology
Professor of Pediatrics
The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
(p) 215-590-1697
(f) 267-426-0363